MTD has put together moments in dance where everyone shares the same reaction, but the actions are routine for any dancer.
1. Hearing “5-6-7-8” is as comforting as your favorite childhood stuffed animal.
2. Doing a pirouette in any space 2×2′ or larger.
3. Standing petrified in confusion/awe when watching someone who can’t keep a beat.
4. How you can dance on stage with ease and grace but then fall down the majority of stairs you encounter…or well, anytime really.
5. How your hair defies gravity after you take out your bun maker AND hair tie.
6. How you’ve almost peed your pants backstage.
7. Busting out dance moves every time there is a good song.
8. How people at school still don’t know their right from their left.
9. How the teacher decided to switch up the warm-up music to your favorite song and you wonder if you’ve died and gone to heaven.
10. How you breathe equal parts oxygen and hairspray.
11. How your dance friends are your people.
12. Feeling like you just won an Oscar after audition results are posted and you got a spot.
13. How the bottoms of your feet look like you’ve stepped in black chalk because you love dancing barefoot.
14. How you eat most dinners on the floor at your dance studio.
15. How many times you’ve called your mom in a panic because you forgot your costume.
16. How it would be weird if you were free on the weekends.
17. How you sort of (okay, REALLY) want to cry after your last performance at recital and it hits you the year is over.
18. How your teacher says, “now, fouetté on the left!” and you wonder who sent her to torture you.
19. Having to go back to the studio because most of your belongings live there (you know…shoes, jacket, costumes, iPhone).
20. That feeling you get when you’re moved to the front row.
If you liked that article check out these top Competition posts: